Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help, New Not understanding
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
max_carpenter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Help, New Not understanding Reply with quote

Hello everyone, new here.

I am relativly new to programming as it is and Program in VB.net 2005 (have done a bit of VB6 before) and I am learning as I go, most of my APPS are tiny freeware utilities but I have done one massive project in the past which is dedicated to a certain company but I am now working on version two which I hope to offer to anyone paid for and after that a few more. I am wishing to license my software and hae been discussing it on VBFORUMS and someone pointed me here. I have read everything about it and really like the sound of it, plu the price is attractive as I don't have much of a budget. I would really like to use this software apart from I don't have a clue how to use it. I have read all the help but I still don't understand how to use it. I was wondering if someone could help me learn it in baby terms. If possible someone could speak to me on yahoo or msn messenger and step me through setting it up in my enviroment for my needs, I have trouble when someone explains how to use something in a general way then leaves me to develop it for my needs, once done once I generaly have the hang of it.

Once I canuse it fully I will then Buy the software and most likly the IPN.NET as well as that will be handy for me. So if someone can help me please please reply to this or e-mail me @ max_carpenter@btconnect.com

Thank You

Thank You
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the best way to understand how ILS works is to take a look at the sample projects. You can launch these from the Windows Start Menu under Infralution->Licensing System->Sample Projects (assuming you've installed the evaluation version of ILS)

Take a look at the Licensed App sample project. This illustrates how to create a simple licensed app. Run the sample project - it will ask you for a license key. You can generate a license key by running the License Key Generator.

Just use the defaults (with the Product Password set to "Test") and then hit the Generate Keys button to generate a key which you can use to unlock the sample app.

If you still can't figure it out then tell us what's blocking you and we will try to point you in the right direction. You can also get a lot of good information from these forums (in particular the FAQ section)
max_carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm finding it very hard to get to grips with this software. I have had a look at the Examples but they don't make it that much clearer to me. Basicly what I want to do to my software is the following;

Customer starts the software up, I don't want the license code screen that pops up with your software, I want the normal splash screen loading everything of my project. Once the loading is complete I then want a Nag screen saying there is no license installed and the benifits then give them the option to begin trial or add license. The trial will be a limited functionatility of my software, no time restrictions or anything. If they choose to install the software I would like it to ask for a Serial Code but preferably I would like it to present a challenge code based on the Software version and a peice of hardware like the Harddrive, Then the license code can be generated using the challenge code presented along with the password in your software (The challenge code can be put in as product info)

If this is not possible I can just use the license code without tying it to harddrive or anything but I would still like to approach it the same.

Please can you advise me.

Thank You
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Customer starts the software up, I don't want the license code screen that pops up with your software, I want the normal splash screen loading everything of my project.

If you want a splash screen before the license dialog is shown you'll have to program that to display before you show the license dialog. Usually splash screens are displayed as separate forms from the "main" method before the application loop is started.

Quote:
Once the loading is complete I then want a Nag screen saying there is no license installed and the benifits then give them the option to begin trial or add license.

You can display the LicenseInstallForm we provide - or you can write your own (from scratch or by deriving from LicenseInstallForm

Quote:
preferably I would like it to present a challenge code based on the Software version and a peice of hardware like the Harddrive

We don't recommend locking to PC hardware (see our FAQ on Product Activation) but you can do it if you really want to. You would need to generate the challenge code yourself. As you indicate the challenge code would then need to be included in the ProductInfo and verified when you read the license.
max_carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I have been trying to study it hard on my long train trip and have started to adapt the code to fit my project. Hopefully I have done it correctly but changed my mind with licensing,

For now I want,

Registered To,
License Code,
Register version - Because The same software can be either Client or Administrator where Administrator have more options So the license needs to tell it what version it should run

I have dropped the hardware lock for now but something I do want to do is display the License code that is currently installed on the splash screen. How do I do that?

Thank You
max_carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have given it a shot atmaking my own generator for the way I wan't this software to be licensed and made it all, put it in the tracker but when I go to add it in to a product I get the folowing error:

Error in data: Could not load file or assembly 'CustomGenerator' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Can someone explain what I have doe wrong. I can post any code nessary.

I copied the CustomGenerator project and just modified it for my needs.

Thank You
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error you are receiving indicates that License Tracker was able to find your CustomGenerator assembly - but there was some sort of problem with the assembly (or assemblies it references) when loading the assembly. This is not an error we have ever had reported previously.

Have you tried just compiling the sample CustomGenerator project and installing the assembly (by copying into the LicenseTracker directory)?
Then enter "CustomGenerator.MyGenerator, CustomGenerator" in the Product dialog Custom Generator field.

I've just verified that this is working without any problems in the current release.

What version of Visual Studio are you using (2003 or 2005)?
What language are you using?
What version of ILS are you using (use the Help->About box in LicenseTracker?)
max_carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the sample project works and I used then same "CustomGenerator.MyGenerator, CustomGenerator" as I didnt change that.

Versions:

VS 2005 Express
Visual Basics
3.4.2.0 (Trial Version)

I probaly have programmed it completly wrong as I am having trouble understanding it. I haveonly been doing VB.netfor about 4-5 months so far all self tought. My manager at work is a pro VB Programmer so he said if we are not busy Thursday he will help me look through it but If you can help before then that would be great.

Thank you

Thank You
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you create your custom generator project - did you create it from scratch or did you copy the sample project directory?

It seems like perhaps since the sample project and your project both have the same output assembly name LicenseTracker is somehow attempting to load both (or the wrong assembly?) and that is causing the error you are getting.

If you can get the sample project to work OK why not just try modifying the files in that project to use your code and then try again. Note that you need to exit license tracker whenever you update the custom generator dll. Then restart license tracker and it should load the new dll.
max_carpenter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied the sample project and I have tried changing all the names but It still does it. I know about having to close the tracker because it will not let you replace the DLL.

I can't see what I am doing wrong. Shall I post code?

Thank You
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email a zipped copy of your custom generator project to support@infralution.com and we wil take a look at it.
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the project - it helps to see what might be happening. There were two potential problems with your project. The first was that it references another assembly called CustomGenerator (which I assume was the sample project). This reference is not necessary and may possibly have caused the issue. The more likely culprit was the fact that your assembly name contains spaces. This is definitely a bad idea and is the most likely cause of the problem.

I fixed these issues and installed the compiled dll without any problems. I will email you back the project.
max_carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much. I have downloaded the project but I do not know what to type in the Custom Generator field in Tracker. I don't know what each bit is. I have tried a few variationsand I just get;

The type name (###) could notbe resolved to a valid type. Ensure that the DLL contain type is placed in the same directory as the License Tracker Executable.

Which ofcourse it is I have tried the following;

Stock_Control_V2_Licensor.CustomGenerator, CustomGenerator
Stock_Control_V2_Licensor.MyGenerator, CustomGenerator
CustomGenerator.Stock_Control_V2_Licensor, CustomGenerator
CustomGenerator.CustomGenerator, Stock_Control_V2_Licensor
CustomGenerator.MyGenerator, Stock_Control_V2_Licensor

Neither work. Sorry forthe hassle. As soon as this is working I will try doing a sample project to use licenses.

Thank You
max_carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry tried

Stock_Control_V2_Licensor.CustomGenerator, Stock_Control_V2_Licensor

After posting and it worked Very Happy although would be nice as is to what each one is supposed to be.

I added it fine to the Tracker and Generated a license Very Happy although I have a drop down box involved in that project which is meant to go into the Product info isn't that meant to generate a different key because I tried it and the same key came out or is it becuase I am running the Trial version does not do that?

Thank You
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I should have looked at your code more carefully. You actually have some other problems which mean that the key is not changing:

The code that generates the ProductInfo is incorrect. Currently this code is:

Code:
data.ProductInfo = form.Ltype.ToString() + EncryptedLicense.Checksum(form.LicensedTo)
data.Comments = String.Format("Registered to: {0}  License Type: {0}", form.LicensedTo, form.Ltype)

But Ltype is a combo box and Ltype.ToString() returns the name of the control type - not the selected text. Also the Comments line has two placeholders for the first argument. I think you meant something like:

Code:
data.ProductInfo = form.LicenseType + EncryptedLicense.Checksum(form.LicensedTo)
data.Comments = String.Format("Registered to: {0}  License Type: {1}", form.LicensedTo, form.LicenseType)

However in this case you are still generating longer keys then you need to (because you are including the LicenseType as a string in the ProductInfo. If you are going to use the Checksum approach to reduce the key length then you should take the checksum on the total product info eg

Code:
data.ProductInfo =  EncryptedLicense.Checksum(form.LicenseType + form.LicensedTo)

Then you need to have the user enter the LicenseType and RegisteredTo information (as the CustomLicensedApp sample) and verify that the Checksum of the entered information matches the checksum in the ProductInfo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: