Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Protecting Demo Period

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Protecting Demo Period Reply with quote

I understand that the .lic file is pretty secure from reading the various posts on this forum. However, if I set a demo period for say 30 days and it expires, what stops the user from just deleting the .lic file and then getting a fresh 30 day demo? I have not yet purchased the product yet, so maybe I just have overlooked how this works.
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EvaluationMonitor class which is used to record the evaluation start date and other information does not store this in the .lic file. It is stored encrypted in a dynamically generated (and obscure) part of the registry. Of course storing this type of information anywhere on the users computer means that it is possible for a user with the right tools to detect and delete it. For this reason we generally recommend that you don't solely rely on this for your evaluation versions. Generally your software when running in evaluation mode should also be restricted in some other way (eg restrict the size of the database or number of concurrent users etc).
KSoft

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before anyone suggests that this is less secure than other systems, it isn't. This is also a *great* argument for not making your evaluation copies "fully functional".

All time-based evaluation limitations are easily defeated by the customer using a registry/file monitor and deleting any registry entries or files created.

There really is no way around that. The "start date" has to be recorded somewhere!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: