Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much of a security is this???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: How much of a security is this??? Reply with quote

Hello,

I downloaded the trial version and ran the VB 2005 LicensedApp sample. I generated a key and unlocked the program; this created a file in the same directory where the sample started.

Copying the license file on another computer where I did not registered the program made it also a registered program.

So...if one user registers then sends the license key to 100 more and they place it in the same folder with my app and the app behaves like it is registered...how much protection is that?

Are there any ways to prevent the transmitting of a license from one user to another?

Thanks
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to prevent users sharing registration keys is to lock the key to the PC hardware. This type of licensing system is called product activation and has a lot of disadvantages for both the customer and you. See our FAQ on this issue. It is possible to build this style of licensing using ILS - but it is not a model we recommend. Other alternatives are locking the license to a user name and prominently displaying this user name on screen and in printouts (see the following FAQ).

If a key is compromised by sharing you can prevent its usage in later releases (see How do I handle compromised keys?)
tuvok

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased this licensing system and I am now faced with this same problem. However I came up with the following solution.

What I basically want to do is to generate and use a different validation parameter in my program for everytime I compile the program. So every copy of my .exe file has a different validation parameter built in it. I then want to have 2 licence keys for that individual .exe file. The first key will be shown in the about box of the program. The customer will have to send me that license key to get the 2nd license key which will unlock the evaluation version. That way every .exe file out there will need a different license key to work in the full version.

But I can't find any documentation on how to go about doing this. Do I need to create a different product for as many orders as I get in order to get a new validation parameter for everytime I compile a new .exe ? or is there a better way ?

Also how do I go about generating 2 license keys which will be related to each other so I can send the 2nd key to someone who sends me the related 1st key ?

Any help is appriciated.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how your proposed solution would really help. All it means is that the user would have to copy your program as well as the license key. This is not really a barrier to sharing or inappropriate copying.

The only way to prevent sharing is to lock the license key to the users hardware (as described in our FAQ). Unfortunately this has a lot of drawbacks and you should think carefully before you go down this route. I would urge you to read the article Piracy and Unconvential Wisdom on CodeProject to consider all the issues involved here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: