Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behaviour of Row references when child lists change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Tree Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MHB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Behaviour of Row references when child lists change Reply with quote

How are rows handled when child lists change?

My situation is this: I have a row A with two children B and C:

A
|-- B
|-- C

I now save references to rows B and C. Then the object in A's child list (which implements IBindingList) that corresponds to B is removed. Is the reference to C now invalidated? Maybe the row is replaced by a new one? Whichever, the problem is that C.Item is now null.
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The section "Working with Rows" in the task based help gives some guidance on this.

Quote:
The lifetime of Row objects is managed by the VirtualTree. In general you should not hold onto references to rows outside of the current call frame (ie don't store row references in member or static variables) because the VirtualTree may decide to dispose of the Row object if it is no longer required. Calling the UpdateRows method will force the VirtualTree to rebuild the row objects from the DataSource and dump any cached rows which are no longer required to support the current display.

MHB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my problem occurs when all of the above is executed inside a method invoked by a user action, so the references are local. I think the problem is that what you are referring to is methods called by the thread(s) that the tree itself creates. Hence, I can never save references from the outside?
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general get the reference to the row object just before you need to use it and you will be fine. If you obtain a reference to a row object then call VirtualTree.UpdateRows then your row reference will have been disposed. Similarly if you obtain a row reference then change a bound data source you may find that the tree has disposed of the rows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Tree Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: