Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evaluation period

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Evaluation period Reply with quote

I was wondering if there is a way to evaluate the application for 30 days without having to strugle with the message box popping up each time I try to run it?
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no - if we did that it would be too easy for evaluation users to generate their real apps using an unlicensed version of the product - and maybe they would forget to pay us Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with Infralution. Maybe a slight change in terminology will allow you to accomplish your goals.

The main issue, as Infralution is hinting at, is that the evaluation time is determined by an easy-to-defeat-by-(bad)-hackers mechanism. Presumably this mechanism is a registration key. Tools exist that can export the entire registry to a text file. The method to defeat is to export the registry, install the program, the export the registry again and compare the two registry exports to find the "hidden" key.

Once you find the key (or keys), you should be able to just delete them.

Hackers know this method already.

What I've done is allow limited functionality without a key, I've also attached some other less-important "secondary" functionality to the evaluation that is not "important" enough to motivate hackers (or the hassle required to re-hack after the evaluation period), but still gives a taste of the full version.

I've also implemented an expiration date with the Product Info that DOES allow full functionality, but I can put an arbitrary date to expire. This is NOT based in any way on the installation date (which would be taken from the hackable registry).

So there are several modes of operation:
1) Right after installation, evaluation mode, limited "main" functionality, unlimited "secondary" functionality.

2) After evaluation period is over, limited "main" functionality, limited "secondary" functionality.

3) Valid License Key prior to expire date set in Product Info, unlimited "main" functionality, unlimited "secondary" functionality.

4) Valid License Key after expire date set in Product Info, fall back to evaluation mode (1 and 2).

What this means is that I can give away the program without keys and it is somewhat functional. If anyone wants to evaluate a fully unlimited version, I can hand them a key that will expire on a certain date. And of course I can give away "time-unlimited" license keys to paying customers.

This flexibility to do this with the Infralution License System, and the honesty and responsiveness of Infralution to my posts here, is what convinced me to purchase this system.

I don't believe this post contains any information that is not already available on the website or in the forums. If it does, feel free to modify this post.

Thanks, Infralution (and Grant Frisken) !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, I may have been confused.

When you say "I was wondering if there is a way to evaluate the application for 30 days without having to strugle with the message box popping up each time I try to run it?"

By "the application" do you mean you're trying to evaluate ILS, or you've purchased ILS and trying to change your own application to have an evaluation period?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: