Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving the authentication server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Javier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Moving the authentication server Reply with quote

I need to move the authentication server, and I don't want to mess up the information, so I prefer to ask to make sure. What steps do I need to take to transfer the information smoothly to the new server? I have ILS 5.11.2. Thank you.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you changing the URL (domain name) that will be used for the authentication server? This has more implications and would require you to recompile your application software to use the new URL.
Javier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My domain name will be the same. My current authentication server is with GoDaddy, called Windows Classic. Now GoDaddy has a new Windows hosting plan which is cheaper and better, according to them. I want to move to that plan. They say that they will move everything to the new server, but I guess I need to configure the server again? How do I transfer the data? According to them, the new plan has all the applications of the old plan, including the required MS Access. Thank you.
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the option I would probably stick with the current plan. If you are using the same URL and were using Microsoft Access then they should be able to migrate your service for you to the new plan. Otherwise you can follow the instructions in the Infralution help to configure the Authentication Service as a web service on the new server and then just copy your AppData directory from your previous installation.
Javier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Windows plans from GoDaddy don't support MS Access. The alternatives are to continue with the old plan, or switch to MS SQL. The old plan, called Windows Classic, is more expensive and they say it will disappear in the near future (that's why these new plans exist). https://www.godaddy.com/help/microsoft-access-database-support-19844?v=1

What do I need to do to switch from MS Access to MS SQL? Thank you.
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In License Tracker Import your authentication data from your current MS-Access Authentication Server database.
Create an empty SQL Server database.
Upload and run the Install.aspx page and configure the Authentication Server using this page to use your new empty SQL Server database
In License Tracker configure the Authentication Server and select the option to upload the authentication data (you only need to do this once). This will upload the existing authentication data to the SQL database.
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Godaddy told me about four years ago that they wanted to migrate from the Classic plan - however we are still using it and they have stopped trying to upsell us to their new plans
Advansys

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently automatically moved by Godaddy from a 4GH service to their new Plesk Windows service, which broke our ILS Authentication service. We are back on 4GH until December 31, when Godaddy is terminating the service.

I am still using Version 5 and need to stick with this for this urgent transition due to some customisations done some time ago.

I have tried without success to configure the Plesk based system, even after a number of calls to Godaddy to help understand the differences between the 4GH and the new one.

One, as discussed in this thread, is the lack of support for Access databases, although apparently it can be done according one of the second tier support reps. However, it is not officially supported regardless of whether it can be made to work technically.

The problems I am running into are more basic. One error, when attempting to run the Install.aspx file from a sub-directory, gives the following error:

Code:
Server Error in '/' Application.
Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Source File: G:\PleskVhosts\[domain]\httpdocs\authenticate-test\web.config    Line: 36

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.8810; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.8762

So this appears to be related to a misconfiguration of the virtual directory in which the ILS service resides. I don't know yet how to set or verify the virtual directory as an IIS application.

As a troubleshooting step, I copied everything in the sub-directory to the httpdocs directory, where there was the servers default Web.config file. Attempting to run Install.aspx from this location resulted in the following error:

Code:
Server Error in '/' Application.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   AuthenticationServer.Settings..cctor() +51

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'AuthenticationServer.Settings' threw an exception.]
   AuthenticationServer.InstallForm.LoadSettings() +28
   AuthenticationServer.InstallForm.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +24
   System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
   System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
   System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.8810; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.8762

This clearly indicates a very different result occurs when run from these different locations, although no cigar yet.

I need get ILS Authentication Server running again well before the December 31, 2019 deadline, even if it means finding another hosting service. I am happy to move to MS SQL from Access, although these more fundamental issues need to be addressed before I can get to that step.

Has anyone else had success moving to the new GoDaddy Deluxe Shared Hosting service?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice or tips on the best way to move forward.

Greg[/code]
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first error does indeed look like you don't have the sub directory configure properly as an application virtual directory.

The second error looks like it the application is having problems reading the Web.Config. Did you overwrite the Web.Config that was already in this directory? If not that may explain the problem - since the Authentication Service requires certain settings in the Web.Config.
Advansys

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The first error does indeed look like you don't have the sub directory configure properly as an application virtual directory.

Thank you very much for your quick reponse, I will look further into addressing the application virtual directory misconfiguration.

Quote:
The second error looks like it the application is having problems reading the Web.Config. Did you overwrite the Web.Config that was already in this directory? If not that may explain the problem - since the Authentication Service requires certain settings in the Web.Config.

In effect, yes, you are correct. For troubleshooting purposes I left the Web.Config as the original file in the root httpdocs directory, which means it must be missing essential entries. I will review, update the Web.Config file and try again.

Everything worked like a charm on the previous GoDaddy hosting servers for years, so until now I've never had to get down 'n' dirty with these type of issues previously. Smile

Thanks again for your fast support. In case it helps anyone else, I'll post an update on the outcome and for any resolution I discover.[/quote]
Advansys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news to report, all is working now on the new GoDaddy Plesk service.

While Godaddy promised a 'hands-off' transition between the 4GH and the Plesk system, reality differs from the optimistic advice.

The resolution though, once known, is straight forward.

One problem is the Godaddy migration process simply copied the ILS Authentication Server directories over as standard directories, which cannot be configured as IIS applications using Plesk. In addition, there were a couple of superfluous directories under httpdocs which shouldn't have been there.

The resolution was to simply create a new Virtual Directory, with the option selected to create an application, then copy the ILS directories/files underneath. For an Access database you need to remember to configure the correct rights, as specified in the ILS documentation, for the App_Data folder.

In the ILS application virtual directory, update the web.config file to include the full path to the Access database and a trust level tag set to "Full".

Access is officially unsupported by Godaddy, although it certainly works and was trivial to get operational with Plesk once I solved the basic configuration issues. One Godaddy tech support rep mentioned he had helped other customers using Access on the Plesk systems.

The next step is to migrate to MS SQL.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback - good to hear you are up and running again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: