Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An unexpected error - Root element is missing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: An unexpected error - Root element is missing Reply with quote

When starting my application a window pop up with the message:

"An unexpected error (Root element is missing.) occurred while reading the license."

Continuing on the application informs the trial is expired with the option to install a license. Prior to this the installed Authenticated license had been working fine over several months. I have seen this message on 3 different computers out of about 75. Installing a new license resolves it. This is happening after having upgraded to License Manager 6.4.1.0. OS is Windows 10. Has anyone seen this?
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you change your application code when you upgraded to Version 6.4?

Is your application code doing background reauthentication of the license?

This error is likely because somehow the license file has become corrupted - perhaps during reauthentication - or perhaps something else your software is doing.
Mack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the authenticated license C# sample code given in the Infralution Help document which does use background reauthentication (_licenseProvider.StartBackgroundReauthentication(); and _licenseProvider.StopBackgroundReauthentication()).

The thing is it will run for months with no issue but seemingly randomly it will delete the contents of the license key file. I have many installations running with no problems. If reauthenticaion fails is it normal for the contents of the license file to be deleted where the license file remains but has 0 byte contents?
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If reauthenticaion fails is it normal for the contents of the license file to be deleted where the license file remains but has 0 byte contents?

No if reauthentication fails the user should get a message indicating that the license is no longer valid and the license file is removed altogether.

You can check in License Tracker to see whether the affected licenses have Revoked Authentications (make sure you import Authentication Data first).

It is possible that if your application was killed (or crashed) for some reason while reauthenticating the license that it could be part way through writing the license file. I haven't had this issue reported with any of our own products. Is there anything unusual about your application - is it a standard Windows application?
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: An unexpected error - Root element is missing Reply with quote

It is a standard Windows Forms application built with Visual Studio 2017. What might be unusual is it is running continuously 24/7 for months or years. I haven't had any issue with Infralution licensing with the prior version which I had been using for several years - and very happy with it. It was only after the upgrade that this issue is seen. If there is a power cycle the computer will reboot and the application will restart - that can happen.
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to check is whether the PCs that have had the issue have Revoked Authentications recorded?

Is your code calling StartBackgroundReauthentication() with no parameters or have you changed the reauthentication interval from the default?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: