Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Floating license disappears!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kushal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Floating license disappears! Reply with quote

Got some serious issues here which are making me run around disappointed customers!

I've got a Floating license service installed at a few companies. License installs perfectly fine, but all of a sudden, in two of the companies, the licenses disappear. This seems to be at a random time, while in use.

I see that 'revoked authentications' has changed to 1, for both of these companies.
This seems to have started when i changed the product settings for Max Authentications from 1 to 4.

Any idea what to do to fix this?
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing (other than a user manually deleting the license file or uninstalling) that can cause a license to be uninstalled is the "Clone Detection" algorithm. This is something you can turn on/off in the Product Settings dialog. Clone detection will uninstall a license automatically if it detects that a user is using the same license key on multiple computers with the same name. Because of the way it works it can be accidentally tripped by a user who resets their computer (or VM) to an earlier restore point. If this does happen the user should be able to just install the license key again. In general we don't find many issues with this, but if it is causing you problems you can turn it off, either for the whole product (using the Product dialog) or for individual customer's keys who have problems (using the Authentication > Set License Limits menu)
Kushal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally also manage all computers at both these locations and am sure none are using VM's nor cloning/formatting going on.
But I'm going to disable the 'detected cloned' anyway, update the server, and keep an eye on this. It's been happening daily since Monday this week, so hopefully this sorts it out.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Kushal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floating Licenses disappeared once again today morning.
In 3 locations, within an hour of each other it seems, once of my own office.

Definitely no changes in server/license/etc in these locations, especially my office.

I had removed the checkbox for detect cloned already and uploaded authentication data (do i need to do this step?).

There IS an issue with my online server, where the auth service/website is installed. Whenever being connected to, from License Tracker or client attempting to license, we get alot of timeouts on it. A few tries later, it connects fine.

Could this be an issue? Otherwise, please suggest any troubleshooting/logging/etc as I'm spending way too much time running the license service and typing in the key over and over again.
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issues with your authentication server should not cause a license to be removed when reauthenticating. I've just retested this functionality to make sure that is true by running one of the sample projects, changing it to reauthenticate every time the application runs and then shutting down the authentication service. The application still runs without any issues and the license is not removed despite the fact that the license cannot be reauthenticated because the server is down.

Where are you saving your license file? Have you checked that this license file is in fact being deleted. It is possible that this is a permissions issue on the license file location.

You do not need to upload authentication data when changing product settings. This option is only intended to be used if your authentication database has been deleted or lost and so you need to rebuild it from the authentication data in the License Tracker database. It does have the potential to cause issues - particularly if you had connected different PCs with different License Tracker databases to the same Authentication Server. Which incidentally is something you definitely should not do. I suspect there is something unusual in your setup that is causing this. How many machines do you have running the License Tracker application?
Kushal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Unfortunately, and embarrassingly, I have no idea where the License is being saved.
As far as I know, it's the default location of your sample vb.net license server project, which is somewhere in the registry?
(Do you mean the .lic file? it's not needed if no offline activation right?)

I'm running the LICENSE SERVER on a windows 2000 VPS. But as mentioned, I think it's a slow or buggy VPS, which timesout ALOT!
I noticed, on the service, that there's an uninstall license() in OnBackgroundReauthenticationFailed(). Would this be the issue?
Code:

Private Sub OnBackgroundReauthenticationFailed(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As BackgroundReauthenticationFailedEventArgs)
        _license = Nothing
        _activeLicenses.Clear()
        _licenseProvider.UninstallLicense() 'HERE?
    End Sub

From the three floating licenses i've noticed this issue on (we don't issue many floating), we've got Windows server 2016, Windows 10 (updated to latest).

[/b]
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OnBackgroundReauthenticationFailed method only gets called if the Reauthentication actually fails because the license was revoked or expired. It does not get called when the call to the server fails because the server was down.

Are you only seeing this issue for floating licenses for the given product? So non-floating licenses for the same product are not exhibiting the same problem?

If this is the case it does point strongly toward some sort of permissions issue. You first need to check whether your license is actually being saved when you install it. By default the sample license server saves the license in a file called "SampleLicenseServer.lic" in the same directory as the SampleLicenseService.exe. Below is the code which specifies this:

Code:
        /// <summary>
        /// The name of the file to store the license key in - since we haven't specified a path it will
        /// be stored next to the executable - which will be OK since we must have admin privileges to install
        /// the license
        /// </summary>
        private static string _licenseFile = "SampleLicenseServer.lic";

/// <summary>
        /// The license provider to use - note the true parameter indicates that this provide requires floating licenses
        /// </summary>
        private static AuthenticatedLicenseProvider _licenseProvider = new AuthenticatedLicenseProvider(LICENSE_PARAMETERS, _licenseFile, true);

However for this to work correctly you MUST install the license with Admin privileges. I would check that the .lic file is in fact getting created in that location. Then if you have the problem check again that the file is still there. If it is getting deleted then we have to start suspecting either the background reauthentication is removing the license for some reason - which it shouldn't be - or something else is deleting the lic file.
Kushal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some issue with the .LIC being overwritten or moved during software updates.
We're looking into this now, hopefully that sorts out the issue.
Kushal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened again at two locations, at nearly the same exact time! (After about 1/2 an hour after users logged in successfully).

1. It's always installed with admin privileges, otherwise it does give permissions errors. So this one's easy.

2. File location for application is: Private _licenseFile As String = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.CommonApplicationData) + "\Company\Licenses\Product.lic"

3. License Server service path is:
Private Shared _licenseFile As String = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.CommonApplicationData) + "\Company\Licenses\ProductServer.lic"

4. There's an uninstalllicense call when backgroundreauth fails. Assuming the online activation service on my end is offline, would THIS get called and would this be the issue? (has asked this before, not sure if you addressed it already)
Code:

Private Sub OnBackgroundReauthenticationFailed(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As BackgroundReauthenticationFailedEventArgs)
        _license = Nothing
        _activeLicenses.Clear()
        _licenseProvider.UninstallLicense() 'HERE?
    End Sub

5. Local License (non-floating) are perfectly fine. Zero issues there.
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
There's an uninstalllicense call when backgroundreauth fails. Assuming the online activation service on my end is offline, would THIS get called and would this be the issue? (has asked this before, not sure if you addressed it already)

I had answered this previously. This code is only called if there is an AuthenticatedLicenseException (due to either a license being revoked or disabled). It will not be called just because your website is down. It it was then you would expect to be seeing this same problem in all your non-floating licenses.

Do the license keys that are having this issue have any "Revoked Authentications" recorded in License Tracker (you need to make sure you have imported Authentication Data before checking)
Kushal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, revoked authentications showing count of 2 and 3 respectively for these two companies.

*Initially, i had DETECT CLONED COMPUTERS on, but when this started occurring, we disabled it. (Does any code/validation parameters change in the software code?)

Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Does any code/validation parameters change in the software code?)

No if you have turned it off (and ensured that you have configured the Authentication Server after making that change using the Authentication > Configure Server menu) then this should stop licenses being revoked due to clone detection.

The fact you have revoked authentications does point to this being the problem however. Keep a note of the counts and if the problem occurs again recheck them. I can't see how you could be getting Revoked authentications if Clone Detection is properly turned off. You must ensure that you have configured the Authentication Server again after making that change - License Tracker should give you a warning if you haven't done this!

One thing I note from your screenshot is that you are using an unusual port (1338) for your authentication server. Why are you not using the standard http port (port 80)? This may well cause problems for your clients trying to connect to the service - since port 80 is generally configured to be open on firewalls - but 1338 may not be.
Kushal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will keep a track of the REVOKES, let's wait for the next issue now.

I had run Authentication > Configure server, but have done so again just to make sure.

Port is not 80 because we're running another site on 80, didn't want it to conflict.
We're going to be moving servers soon, so will move it to 80 at that point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: