Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

License Tracker Automated Notifications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuri.m

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: License Tracker Automated Notifications Reply with quote

Hello,

We have implemented subscription type license in multiple products. Now we have a lot of new sales. When the time comes to renew the license we need to notify customers before the license gets expired and the product stops working.
It cannot be effectively implemented in the product itself because products are often installed on servers with no access to e-mail or outside world.

Tracking the license expiration and sending e-mails manually is really tedious.
Please add an ability to set up automatic e-mail notifications in the License Tracker.
It should be based on user-defined rules and templates.

For example, the rule can be: send e-mail to the <customer> <X> days before the license expires. This way I could create more than one rule and send alerts 30, 15, and 7 days before the license expires.
Another rule would be: Send e-mail to the <customer> if the license has expired and was not renewed.

Each Rule would be attached to specific template. The template would contain email subject and text with fields that the Tracker will fill in with data from the DB: <customer>, <product>, etc.

A CheckBox and a Field 'CC to the following e-mail addresses' would help notifying local company people, too.

Please let me know when do you plan to add this feature. I believe many of your customers would benefit from it.

Thank you,
Yuri
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can implement this in the product without requiring internet access. The installed license contains the expiry date. Your program can read the ExpiryDate and then prompt the user at what ever interval you want before the date expires.
yuri.m

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your support.

Two reasons why we need implementing it in the License Tracker rather than in a product:

1) Ability to notify both the customer and your personnel (sales, support, management, etc.).

2) If the product is an unattended windows or web service and there is no user interface, then there is no way to alert the user. This is exactly the case with one of our major products.

Regards,
Yuri
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with a service there are a number of possible solutions:
  • you could report the issue to the event log
  • use a separate program which you launch on login that checks the expiry date in notifies the interactive user
  • send an email from the server (have the user provide an email address during installation)

We are adding the ability to filter on expiry dates in the next release - but realistically I don't see a huge demand for the ability to do automatic mail outs based on expiry date. If a significant number of other customers feel that it would be a good feature then we would consider it. If you really need this functionality it would not be too difficult for you to write a program that connected directly to the database and extracted the information you required and sent the emails. You could add this in to your windows task scheduler to occur on a regular basis.
yuri.m

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your support.

We do log events in the Event log but this is not reliable.
In fact - all methods ran from the licensed application itself are not reliable.
I believe the notification app / service should run a DB query on the license server. The License Tracker seems to be a good candidate for defining the rules, and a separate service would run queries and send notifications.

I cannot estimate how many customers would be interested in this feature. Anyway it is your call.

I'd ask anybody who is interested to leave a comment in this topic.

Regards,
Yuri
CADbloke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: License Tracker Automated Notifications Reply with quote

yuri.m wrote:
Hello,

Tracking the license expiration and sending e-mails manually is really tedious.
Please add an ability to set up automatic e-mail notifications in the License Tracker.
It should be based on user-defined rules and templates.

This should probably be part of your sales process rather than your licensing process. Take a look at things like https://stunning.co/ or https://www.chargebee.com/ or http://www.fastspring.com/ There are others, those area few I looked at recently.
Kushal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Yuri.m,

great suggestion!

@Infralusion, sorry for creating a similar here: http://www.infralution.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3313
to which you liked the ideas of my example:
Quote:
Example: 1 customer with 4 licenses.
1. I need to copy licenses one at a time into a new mail
2. I need to go and copy the clients name/company/email address
3. Write an email saying "Thank you for your business, here are your new keys, which have the following properties (expiry date + other necessary fields).

@Infralusion,
If this solution is created within License Tracker, all the devs who purchase your product would not have to reinvent the wheel!
This automation would go along with, and also utilize the mail templates which I had suggested.
[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: