Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Automated Install of License Server using SQL Server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hounddog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Automated Install of License Server using SQL Server Reply with quote

We are trying to script out the license server installation.

Is there any way to install the license server using sqlserver without the manual clicking of install.aspx?

We can control the web.config, create the database, etc, but I don't see an obvious way to do this.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need to do this?

One way would be to install the server on a local instance of SQL Express on your development machine using the local authentication service and run install.aspx there. Then you could use SQL Management Studio to script the database to then install on another instance. In general however I would recommend using the Install.aspx - as this handles upgrading your schema when database changes occur between versions.
hounddog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
Why do you need to do this?

As a DevOps engineer, if it isn't scripted, it isn't done. Shocked

Infralution wrote:

One way would be to install the server on a local instance of SQL Express on your development machine using the local authentication service and run install.aspx there. Then you could use SQL Management Studio to script the database to then install on another instance. In general however I would recommend using the Install.aspx - as this handles upgrading your schema when database changes occur between versions.

Ok. That seems a like one solution.

Let me ask this: If we purchase with source code, I'm betting I can reverse engineer what the Install.aspx is doing and either reuse that code or mimic it. Do you forsee any major issues with that?
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes if you purchase source code it shouldn't be difficult to understand what it is doing.
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you intending to run a single SQL Server (that both License Tracker and the Authentication Server connect to) or will you use a separate Authentication and License Tracker database and then import Authentication Data into License Tracker using the Authentication > Import Data menu?

If you want to use a single SQL Server then this database is actually configured by the Configure License Tracker Database wizard (when you install ILS) rather than the Install.aspx. In this case the Install.aspx just sets up the Web.config parameters to connect to the existing License Tracker database.
hounddog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
Are you intending to run a single SQL Server (that both License Tracker and the Authentication Server connect to) or will you use a separate Authentication and License Tracker database and then import Authentication Data into License Tracker using the Authentication > Import Data menu?

If you want to use a single SQL Server then this database is actually configured by the Configure License Tracker Database wizard (when you install ILS) rather than the Install.aspx. In this case the Install.aspx just sets up the Web.config parameters to connect to the existing License Tracker database.

Ha! So, you're saying that if I setup the SQL Server and create the connection string to it in the web.config, then when I initialize from the License Tracking, I can be good to go?

If so, that seems like a solution!
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - if you are going to use one common database then you can just configure it from License Tracker and then set the connection string in the Web.Config. If you are not using the Install.aspx to write the Web.Config then you cannot use the option to encrypt the connection details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: