Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TargetNullValue with Resx extension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkuebler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: TargetNullValue with Resx extension Reply with quote

Is there a way to take advantage of the TargetNullValue of a binding using the Resx extension while supporting the dynamic culture switching feature of the CultureManager?

It's often times handy to specify a TargetNullValue on a binding to show an alternate value in something like a TextBlock or TextBox when the binding target value is null. It would be great to use this in conjunction with the Resx extension from Globalizer and allow that value to change when the culture is changed at runtime. But I haven't figured out a way to do it. Is this possible or any ideas for a workaround?

Thanks,
Kevin
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can put together a small sample project that demonstrates what you want to do (maybe by modifying one of our sample projects) then email a zipped copy to support@infralution.com. We will take a look and see if there is any way to achieve what you want.
kevinkuebler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can describe the situation a little bit better here without a sample project. At least I'll try ... Smile
(BTW, the code formatting feature doesn't seem to support any attributes in markup samples, so I had to replace the '<' and '>' characters with '[' and ']')

Say you have a regular string property on a ViewModel named "Description":
Code:
public string Description { get; set; } //This could be a full INPC property, doesn't matter

In your XAML, you might want to do something like this so that you display the value of the Description property in a TextBlock, unless the value is null in which case you show some other message to the user:
Code:
[TextBlock Text={Binding Description, Mode="OneWay", TargetNullValue="No description available"}/]

So I could use the Resx markup extension to provide that message string. This is similar to a previous question I asked about using it with the ConverterParameter property on a value converter:
Code:
[TextBlock Text={Binding Description, Mode="OneWay", TargetNullValue={Resx NoDescriptionMessage}}/]

But like the ConverterParameter case, this won't work when switching cultures at runtime. It would be nice to be able to use the <Resx> element to achieve this by having a property, named something like BindingTargetNullValueKey, which would allow you to specify the Resx key for looking up the TargetNullValue for the binding when you recreate it. Does that make sense? If not, let me know and I'll put together a complete sample.

In the meantime, I've come up with a workaround involving a value converter that lets's me specify a resource key and the resource manager to use for looking up that key's value, which I can use with a normal binding to achieve this effect. A bit of infrastructure and extra markup when I need to use it, but it works. Would be nice to have it just built into the Resx extension though. Smile
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the code formatting feature doesn't seem to support any attributes in markup samples, so I had to replace the '<' and '>' characters with '[' and ']

If you check the "Disable HTML in this post" option then you can use XML elements like this:

Code:
<myattribute>
SomeCode

Quote:
It would be nice to be able to use the <Resx> element to achieve this by having a property, named something like BindingTargetNullValueKey, which would allow you to specify the Resx key for looking up the TargetNullValue for the binding when you recreate it. Does that make sense? If not, let me know and I'll put together a complete sample.

I think this may be possible. I will need sample to test any solution on - so it would certainly make things quicker from our end if you could put one together.
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about a sample project - I think I can replicate the behaviour you want with one of our sample projects - and the good news is that I think that we can add this feature to the ResxExtension. I will create a new version of the Infralution.Localization.Wpf assembly and put it on our website on Monday for you to try.
kevinkuebler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks! I'll look for the update and try it out when it's ready.
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded a new beta version (3.3.0.0) of the Infralution.Localization.Wpf assembly to our downloads page at:

www.infralution.com/downloads/Infralution.Localization.Wpf3-3-0.zip

This supports a new BindingTargetNullKey property that allows you to specify the resource key for the text to display when the binding is null. You use it like this:

Code:
<Resx Key="_selectedTextBlock.Text"
      BindingElementName="_fileListBox"
      BindingPath="SelectedItem"
      BindingTargetNullKey="_selectedTextBlock.NullText"
      BindingConverter="{StaticResource sampleEnumConverter}" />

In this case the "_selectedTextBlock.Text" defines the resource key for a format string used to format (non-null) bound values and the "_selectedTextBlock.NullText" is the resource key to use for a null value. If you don't need to format the bound values then you can just leave the Key attribute out ie

Code:
<Resx BindingElementName="_fileListBox"
      BindingPath="SelectedItem"
      BindingTargetNullKey="_selectedTextBlock.NullText"
      BindingConverter="{StaticResource sampleEnumConverter}" />

Let me know if this works for you and we will include this in the next release and update the Code Project article as well.
kevinkuebler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, works perfectly. That's exactly the behavior I was hoping for. Smile Allows me to get rid of the somewhat clunky value converter I had created to work around this issue - much more elegant this way. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: