Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manipulation in license file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hakanbondesson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Manipulation in license file Reply with quote

Hi all,

When attempting to change i.e. the expiry date in the license file, this is detected and throws the below error messge:

Invalid License
the license file contents have been modified and the license is no longer valid. You may need to reinstall the license using the original License Key provided to you when you purchased the product.

I have tried to "catch" this exception so that I could display a different message to the end user, but I'm not able to somehow find this. Is this possible?

When the user is connected to the internet, this is not a problem as we are using the "authenticate" method, so the license is authenticated with the server and the license file is update with correct data, but when ever I simulate that the user is "offline" and have changed the expiry date, the message is displayed but then still allows me to login.

What could be done to prohibit the manipulation with the license file?

Regards,
Hakan
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that if the license has expired and you run your application that (although it displays the message) it still allows your application to run?

I think this probably means there is an error in the way you have code your application logic. In the case where the license has expired the LicenseProvider.GetLicense will still return a license object - so it isn't sufficient just to check whether the license is null. Instead you should call LicenseProvider.IsValid(license) to check whether the returned license is valid. Here is what the application logic should look like (from the sample project):

Code:

_license = _licenseProvider.GetLicense();

// if there is no installed license then display the evaluation dialog until
// the user installs a license or selects Exit or Continue
//
while (!_licenseProvider.IsValid(_license))
{
    EvaluationMonitor evaluationMonitor = new RegistryEvaluationMonitor("MyEvaluationPassword");
    EvaluationDialog evaluationDialog = new EvaluationDialog();
    EvaluationDialogResult dialogResult = evaluationDialog.ShowDialog(evaluationMonitor);
    if (dialogResult == EvaluationDialogResult.Exit) return;    // exit the app
    if (dialogResult == EvaluationDialogResult.Continue) break; // exit the loop

if (dialogResult == EvaluationDialogResult.InstallLicense)
    {
        AuthenticatedLicenseInstallForm licenseForm = new AuthenticatedLicenseInstallForm();
        _license = licenseForm.ShowDialog(_licenseProvider, _license);
    }
}

This did change in Version 5.8 when expiry dates were introduced. So if your code was written prior to 5.8 and you did not update it to handle expiry dates that may be the problem.
hakanbondesson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been testing by going offline (from internet) and modifying the local license file by changing the "Expiry Date" in the file to a future date (even if the license is still valid).
But during this scenario, there is no way to authenticate with our server, so it reads the local file.

So, the program displays the error message :

Invalid License
the license file contents have been modified and the license is no longer valid. You may need to reinstall the license using the original License Key provided to you when you purchased the product.

This is perfect, but we would somehow like to "catch" this exception/message and display our own.
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want to change the message you can derive your own class from AuthenticatedLicenseProvider and override the ShowInvalidStatusMessage method to handle the case when license.Status is InvalidSignature (call the base class method for all other cases) eg

Code:
public overrides void ShowInvalidStatusMessage(AuthenticatedLicense license)
{
   if (license != null && license.Status == AuthenticatedLicenseStatus.InvalidSignature)
   {
      ShowError(LicenseResources.InvalidLicenseTitle, "My Message");   
   }
   else
   {
      base.ShowInvalidStatusMessage(license);
   }
}

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: