Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Totally lost database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sputnik

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Totally lost database Reply with quote

and I can't find a backup. I've been searching all my drives and found nothing.

I can at least see, that in the authentication database that there is a products table. Is there any way, using the authentication database (sql server) to use what was put in, to re-generate a database with the data, or at least a good amount of it?

I haven't had to add a new app for years and it pains me to think of going through the code of each app to find the location of each app's encrypted key to re-do the database one app at a time.
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the standalone authentication database does not contain the parameters required to generate license keys. This is by design to give an extra layer of security - even if your website/database gets hacked the hacker can't generate keys.

Without a backup of your License Tracker database you would have to recode each of your applications and issue new license keys.
Sputnik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind, it has been a couple of years since I needed to update this product in any way and I'm very rusty

I created the new database. Now, any time I try to add a new product or distributor, it tells me that the 'Database or object is read-only'

The kicker here is that I've got v5.5.2.0 and I've also got Windows 10.

Also, I've got the EvaluationMonitor for each product in my apps - can I use those to get stuff working?

This is sounding bleaker and bleaker. Will this work or do I need to upgrade?
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you create the new database? It sounds like you don't have write permissions to the directory containing the database file.

The EvaluationMonitor is completely independent of the licensing.

You shouldn't have to upgrade, although given that you are using Windows 10 it might be a good time to consider doing this (since ILS 5 is not strictly supported on windows 10).
Sputnik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
How did you create the new database? It sounds like you don't have write permissions to the directory containing the database file.

I used the Configure Infralution License tracker
Sputnik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, (thanks for the tip about Read/Write folder) where can I go to get a beginners look at how I can enter a new product, how the password looks and
1. whether or not it's akin to the Product Password
2. The License Server URL - how can I fix/change that? Right now I have it on my website but I can't change it in the textbox when creating a new product
3. Basically I need a video or a step by step way to enter a new product with licensing and authentication on my website.

I'm trying this again after several years and I'm totally lost
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. See the Getting Started section in the help. Unfortunately you can't just set the same Product password (if you could remember it) and have the parameters work with your old code. This is because License Tracker generates a (very long) set of public/private key pairs which secure communication between the application and the authentication server. These are regenerated each time you change the password and stored in the database. Unless you have exported and saved the license parameters from license tracker there is no way to recover the private keys which are stored in the database.

2. To set the Authentication Server URL you have to use the Authentication > Configure Server menu.
Sputnik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok - one last thing before I dive in.

Are the Evaluation Monitor and the product password 2 different things?

If so - what is the Evaluation Monitor used for?
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are two different things. The EvaluationMonitor is used to monitor how long the application has been in use since it was first run and to limit this if there is no license installed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: