Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grant Windows user access to License Tracker database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmartine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Grant Windows user access to License Tracker database Reply with quote

I have set up the License Tracker application, using SQL Server for the database, using Windows Authentication.

I can run the License Tracker when logged into the computer as the Administrator Windows account (which I used to install the application), but not for any other Windows user. I get an error saying that the database login failed as soon as I start the application.

I don't know a lot about SQL Server, but I know that there are SQL commands to grant permissions to different tables, etc., but it seems like that would be a lot of commands. Is there a tool or script to do everything that is needed to grant access to the database for a particular Windows user?

-Joe
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of useful links that describe how to do this:

https://esha.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202977089-Granting-Access-to-Additional-Users-with-SQL-Server-Management-Studio
http://serverfault.com/questions/262199/giving-a-user-database-permissions-in-sql-server-management-studio
jmartine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That first link looks like what I need. One question though:

In the last part, it tells you to choose what roles to grant to the user. What roles are required to run and use the License Tracker successfully? That web page is written for a different piece of software, so I'm not sure if the same roles are required for the License Tracker.

-Joe
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the same roles will work - the user basically needs read/write access to the database tables - but doesn't need to be able to modify the tables. Note however if you are installing or upgrading the database you need to have full admin rights to the database.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: