Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with e fairly simple VirtualTree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Tree Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottietrek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Help with e fairly simple VirtualTree Reply with quote

Ok all i want to do is use an xml file to bind to the VirtualTree. I can add items without issue but i cannot figure out how to make them editable I am using VS 2008 pro if that helps with the latest version Virtualtree
i only rows with childrows basicly multiable rows with multiable children only going down once. I am just not able to make VirtualTree bind to any database. Much less a XML file. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can display the items OK but you can't edit them?

You need to add an Editor using the Virtual Tree designer. If you are only editing text then use the standard TextBox control as the editor control. Then you need to set the Editor property for the column(s) you want to be able to edit.
scottietrek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: yes but Reply with quote

i can add them but not from an xml file. just using the part file sample. i have tried the text box control in the editor and it does show up but when i change the vale it does not change it in the list.
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i have tried the text box control in the editor and it does show up but when i change the vale it does not change it in the list.

That's because the cell is bound to the Name property of the Part class in this sample project - and there is no Set accessor defined for the Name property. If you define a Set accessor than the value should change when you change it with the editor.

Quote:
i can add them but not from an xml file.

The solution here depends on exactly what you are trying to achieve. If you have a known XML structure then the best solution is to create a set of classes/objects that reflect this structure and read the XML into your objects using the standard .NET XML serialization or read/write methods. Then you can bind to your objects in exactly the same way that the Simple Parts sample does.

If you are trying to build a general purpose XML file browser (like what you get if you open an XML file using Windows Explorer) then this a slightly bigger task. It is possible to bind a Virtual Tree to an XmlDocument - however it takes a little bit of work because the XmlNode collections don't support the standard .NET IList interface. If you want to do this let us know and I can provide some more information on how to go about it.
scottietrek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: need to do Reply with quote

What i am trying do to is use an XML doc that i can format anyway needed as i will be creating it.
the needs:
i have 2 columns
Name and status
The user should be able to change the name only.
there will be one child set for every project ie...
Code:

Name                            status
Untitled Project                active
       Untitled SubProject      Inactive
       Untitled SubProject1     Inactive
       Untitled SubProject3     Inactive
Untitled Project1               active
       Untitled SubProject1     Inactive
       Untitled SubProject11    Inactive
       Untitled SubProject13    Inactive

not sure if this makes since
both subproject and project would need to be editable
i would like to bind this information to an xml document so that it update the xml document as they add projects and sub projects.
is there a way to do this also this is my firstime using Virtual tree.
which way would be bets for this.
and what would i do to accomplish the end result.
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to handle this to create a set of classes that reflect your model. So you might create a "Project" class. The Project has a "SubProjects" property that returns the collection of sub-projects (also Project objects) and a Parent property (null for root projects). A sub-project would then just be a Project which doesn't have a parent. The Projects class would have name and status properties. This is really similar to the simple sample using the "Part" class

Your application can then deal with the Project class instead of dealing directly with XML. There are a number of ways you can use .NET to write/read the class to XML. The easiest to implement is using the builtin XML serialization - I would look this up in Microsofts online help and some other sources (like CodeProject) if you haven't used it before.

Binding your data to Virtual Tree is then very easy using the object binding mechanism. It is essentially the same as the simple sample you have already been looking at.
scottietrek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

I did finally figure it out i beliive. doing pretty much what you have stated i just use an arraylist to house the children of the projects and a single string to house the projects as you edit or enable and disable the projects status it changes this informaition. I then have an xml writer and reader to retrieve this information as needed. at start up and close. works pretty well now. thank you so much for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Tree Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: